Sunday, June 27, 2010

Land

Twenty acres to be exact!


The story of how this happened is crazy.  But not.

I confess I never imagined myself traveling around the outskirts of Kampala looking for land.  I never imagined myself standing in the middle of "I don't know where" talking with eight or so Ugandan men about purchasing twenty acres of land.

This was a job for my husband.  He's the business man.  He asks all the right questions.  But... he wasn't in country.  I was.  With a dear friend.

Go ahead.  Take a minute. Let your mind visualize the scene.  Two white women walking through a remote village, off into the thick, jungle like landscape with a group of men that spoke in a language we could not understand, searching for land to buy for a project that began a few short months ago as an "idea". 

Thankfully the Lord provided two trustworthy friends to see us through the process! (Another amazing story of God's provision!)

We had looked for several days at half a dozen properties.  I had been praying for wisdom and direction about this from the moment I knew I was taking this trip.  I had sent out prayer e-mails to family and friends.  I desperately wanted to hear God's voice and know His direction.  During my stay, I had e-mailed and talked with my husband numerous times.  He would always say, "I'm praying for you.  The Lord will show you what to do."  I appreciated his confidence... but still I worried!

On one of the last days we were going to be in country, we drove out to a small village with acreage for sale.  I had resigned to the fact that we probably would not find the land on this trip, but was willing to take a look anyway.  (I should have known better!  God is in this!) We got out of the vehicle and started walking the property.  I can't describe the feeling... but somewhere inside... I knew... it was our place.


It was beautiful.  Up on a hill.  Not terribly overgrown, but luscious. Gorgeous view.

My friends and I found some shade under a tree, in front of a mud house with children playing all around, and discussed it. Pros and cons.  Price... reasonable or not.  Location.  And then... I made an offer.  The owner of the land counter offered.  I told them I would think about it and let them know.  Then we left.  Just like I did this sort of thing every day!

I have to admit I was scared to make this decision on my own.  It was a big decision! The owner called the next day (my last day) and wanted money immediately.  I was not ready to make the final decision on my own.  I just prayed that if it was God' will that we were to buy it, then He would keep it for us!

Needless to say, we bought it!

We have recently fenced it to "show ownership" and are now planning for the next step.



This whole project has been one faith step at a time.  God has so faithfully guided and directed and provided!  It is seriously the craziest thing.  But not.

Glory to Him alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment